Re: [sharechat] The future of generation [was CEN]

From: Charlie Harvey <cd@pl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:24:55 +1300

Robin

Thanks for your insightful contribution and valuable links. There has been
so much scaremongering re NZ's 'impending' electricity crisis so your words
are most refreshing.

Yes there are fine examples from Europe (where energy is fast becoming a
treasured resource) which can guide us well towards focussing us on
sustainable generation. With Brent Crude at $US41 a barrel I think we will
see even a wake up call for sustainable energy in North America.

I don't wish to diminish your most valid contribution but do note nearly all
offerings on this topic relate to supply, in your case the efficiency of
supply. The other area well worth addressing is the efficiency of
consumption. Why a new house, office, almost any building in NZ requires an
air conditioning system is beyond me. Yes there are the exceptions where
temperature control is imperative eg, food sector,  areas of hospitals etc.
but quality architecture can reduce air con reliance by implementing some
very basic passive ventilation design. The glass tower on Queen St without
solar shading is now out of vogue as more and more companies realise cooling
is an exorbitant property cost.

Appliance energy efficiency is only just being looked into. F&P have been
slow to spend research in this area and offer products which meet European
standards. I guess that explains why they are focussed on the US market.
Until central government makes it mandatory that all appliances (electric &
gas), light fittings etc display an informative energy rating we will
literally be in the dark.

Geothermal energy in NZ is an area I would keep an eye on. Not the current
technology as we know it but rather hot dry rock (HDR). This is a developing
technology in Japan, France and in the last year Australia. Water is pumped
down a shaft to say 2000-5000m where rock strata is at extreme temperatures,
ultra heated water rises to surface, drives an HDR turbine before it returns
to run the same course. It's effectively a closed loop hydronic system so is
perfectly sustainable. Do a Google to find more.

Enough.

Charles