Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2004

RE: [sharechat] Weak Gold - Great Time To Buy

From: "Baa Baa" <baa_baa@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:34:41 +0000

Gold in USD has dropped. In Kiwi$ it has perked up slightly because the
forex effect hasn't dropped the Kiwi against the USD quite as much as Gold
has dropped in USD
http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/cgi/fxplot?b=XAU&c=NZD&rd=91&fd=1&fm=1&fy=2003&ld=31&lm=12&ly=2004&y=daily&q=volume&f=png&a=lin&m=0&x=

Gold in AUS$ has actually perked up too
http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/cgi/fxplot?b=XAU&c=AUD&rd=91&fd=1&fm=1&fy=2003&ld=31&lm=12&ly=2004&y=daily&q=volume&f=png&a=lin&m=0&x=

This is important to note imo for two reasons;

1. Physical metal buyers in AUS or NZ aren't seeing a drop in local priced
Gold, so it's not neccessarily a better time to buy as there is no weakness
to speak of. The best time to buy is always a strengthening USD -and- a
strengthening local currency, which of course only happens when locally
there is some event which resets the forex ratios, like interest rate
movements for example. The reverse is true for selling strength, i.e. a
weakening USD and a weakening local currency = local priced Gold shoots
upwards.

2. The AUS gold mining stocks weaken in sympathy with the USD Gold price,
not the AUS Gold price, so I agree, buy that stock weakness if you can. Some
people may not realise that the minies pay expenses in $AUS, but sell Gold
in $USD, so while expenses stay flat, revenue falls = stock price falls.

Nice to see a timely post about the metals stocks.
Best to you
BAA

>From: "Lazy Haggis" <lazyhaggis@hotmail.com>
>To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
>Subject: [sharechat] Weak Gold - Great Time To Buy
>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:28:09 +0000
>
>Gold has been a bit weaker over the past couple of days. This is quite
>normal, not unexpected, and offers a great time to buy Aussie gold shares.
>The price of gold may drop further, but don't count on it. Remember buy
>into weakness, and sell into strength. With the fall in OZ and NZ dollar
>rates compared to the US, the fall in gold price is meaningless. However,
>the sympathy fall in OZ gold stocks is not meaningless, it represents a
>great buying opportunity.
>
>Currently the gold price is undergoing a wedge reconciliation top, which
>probably has several weeks to run yet.  This is similar to the wedge top
>which ran from Feb'03 to Aug'03.  There are many good upcoming Aussie
>juniors and producers, we all have our favourites, but at prevailing prices
>the following offer good entry prices (as of today) with plenty of upside
>over the coming year.
>
>AVO, BRW, CRS, GBG, GTM, OXR, PNA, RNG, RSN, SED, SRI
>
>Enjoy the day,
>Lazy Haggis
>The Mumbo Jumbo Filter

>Limited-time offer: Fast, reliable MSN 9 Dial-up Internet access FREE for 2
>months!
>http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&pgmarket=en-us&ST=1/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

Need more speed? Get Xtra JetStream  @ http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: [sharechat] Online broker recommendation needed! Baa Baa