[sharechat] WRI interim breakdown

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:03:01 +1300

WRI has a policy of operating 'primarily in one industry segment'.  That
means they lump

real estate and insurance broking,
supply of seeds grains and feed supplements,
livestock marketing and supply,
wool procurement warehousing marketing and export,
 rural merchandise,
farm consultantcy,
forestry services,
farm finance
and biotechnology

all in as 'one business' and that tends to obscure the driving forces
behind the result.

Studying the just released half year press releases, coupled with a bit
of guessing, leads me to believe the breakdown in WRI EBIT and
profitability is like this ( '?' follows estimated figures):

EBIT Real estate: $2.4m (?)
EBIT Rural Supplies: $1.7m
EBIT Seeds: $2.3m
EBIT Livestock $1.75m (?)
EBIT Finance $0.25m(?)
EBIT Wool ($1.75m) -loss
EBIT Australia ($0.5m) -loss
EBIT Uraguay (insignificant)
EBIT Genesis research ($0.7m) -loss

Total EBIT $3.8m

Less tax, reduces this to $A2.7m

Notes:

1/ For finance, I am assuming a 2% gross profit margin on the loan
portfolio worth $24.9m.  That works out to $0.5m per year or $0.25m
over six months.

2/ Real estate commissions.  Total commissions for the half was given
as $10.75m.   The $2.4m profit I quote is a guess of the amount left
over in the company's coffers after saleperson's commissions and
office expenses are taken out.    Since this is a guess I'd be interested
to see if anyone can comment on the reasonableness of this
assumption.

3/ $1.75m profit on livestock, was the number I needed to make up the
total!   Could be right or wrong so comments welcome.

Whatever, It looks like the main problem child in the Wrightson's stable
is wool!

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] a cautionary tale? Stephen Judd