Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2003

RE: [sharechat] Fast Food competition

From: "James Sherbert" <james_sherbert@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:57:56 +0000

Who owns the NZ Subway Franchise? If it is RBD i think they are on a winner.
Great format and well patronised in Jaffa land.

Agree that KFC is tired, as is Pizza Hut but they still bring the punters
in. Something about greasy food that still appeals to the masses.

Keeping an eye on RBD but not sure i will take the plunge any time soon.

JJJ

>From: hugh webber <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
>To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
>Subject: [sharechat] Fast Food competition
>Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:08:42 +1300
>
>I was interested in Snoopy's recent comments re RBD
>and the competition so I thought I'll keep my little eyes open
>and do a totally unscientific physical check-out a la Warren
>Buffett.
>First stop, accidentally, Pizza Hut at Papanui after the flicks.
>Positive. Swarming with customers, friendly, motivated well
>trained staff, nice well maintained surroundings, hordes of
>customers and healthy food alternatives like pasta and diet Pepsi
>to cover the recent survey showing 50% of NZers are willing to put
>a tax on obesity causing foods. Simple Rule: don't eat any fat or
>sugar but eat all the fruit vegetables, bread, pasta, carbohydrates,
>fish and lean meat you can eat- I find it has marvellous results,
>substantial easy weight loss accompanied by heaps of energy.
>But I digress, slightly.
>Only criticism - not ruthless enuff,the dorks kept our reservation
>for 45 minutes before putting someone else in, and did themselves
>out of some business as a result.
>Next stop, Queenstown. I was impressed by Subway, queues of
>people straining to get in and personally watch their food made to
>their order of how they liked it. No problem with unhealthy food, its
>up to you. Question: can they keep this up or will people get sick of
>waiting and default to the old obese greasies. McDonald's was reasonably
>well patronised but the formula is just starting to look a little tired
>and I somehow couldn't avoid the feeling its so brash that any moment
>there would be a hail of anti American machine gun bullets or some mad
>Al Qaeda suicide bomber disguised as a large everything burger.
>Next, KFC, Queenstown. Oh dear, talk about tatty. Ditto the one on
>the corner of Chch's High St. They desperately need one of those TV
>programs to give them a makeover.
>I note that Starbucks in North America was reported to be doing very well
>with various alterations....how long before they get exported here or is
>that
>too much of a leap and in the banned globalisation category.
>But the food to go/quick restaurant business seems to be overrun with
>competition
>and very much commodified.
>RBD may recover, particularly if the feller who turned Pizza Hut round gets
>going and Starbucks NZ rapidly pinches the latest North American success
>formulas.
>I've never really been a chicken fan, principally because my wife is...and
>after
>she served up chicken stuff four times in a row I had to ban the stuff...
>But to me there are better bets on the sharemkt than an RBD recovery
>and in spite of the mouthwatering RBD gross yield I'd rather sleep soundly
>at
> [...]

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream @
http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5803,00.html !

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] view point by macdunk. Duncan MacGregor