Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] Disgraceful Service, BK Registries and TLS

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:25:53 +1300

Hi Malcolm,

>HI Snoopy since when has a share registry been an expert on taxation
>or is expected to be. They only put stuff in envelopes the companies
>provide. Surely the companies that operate here such as Telstra use
>tax accountants for their own company tax matters so Telstra should
>know more about NZ tax obligations of shareholders than a simple
clerk
>in a registry.

I would certainly hope that Telstra would know more about their own tax
obligations than a simple clerk at the registry.  That is quite right.

However, whether Telstra should know more about the tax obligations
*of their NZ shareholders* than a New Zealand company registry office
is another matter.    Normally I wouldn't expect an overseas company to
know *anything* about the tax obligations of their New Zealand
shareholders.    But when an overseas company goes so far as to list in
NZ ( as Telstra did) and in so doing encourages New Zealanders to
invest, I do expect them to take more than the minimum legally required
care.

I do agree that the first obligation is on Telstra to do the right thing.
However if Telstra fail to do so, either because of ignorance or laziness,
then I feel it is up to their New Zealand agent to point out the mistake in
their ways.

The particular type of tender for shares that Telstra put out is not
unusual.    Other Australian companies have done it before.   But such
an offer is almost never a worthwhile offer for New Zealand investors to
pick up, because of the tax argument I outlined earlier in this thread.

In summary, for someone who is dealing in shares all the time, like a
registry office, the offer that came from Telstra was more or less a
standard document.    No special knowledge should have been required
to know that it was a bum deal.

A newspaper editor would be expected to assess the credibility of a
press release before blinding distributing it as 'news'.     This doesn't
mean a newspaper never makes mistakes in what they publish.   But in
my assessment the registry office should at least show a similar
standard of care to that of a newspaper editor.

SNOOPY

PS

> Also snoopy I thought you were moaning about currency when Telstra
> asked you for a NZ bank account  number to credit your dividends into.
> I take it now you just wanted a cheque. I thought from your original
> email you wanted a cheque in Australian dollars.

I am getting what I want right now.  A cheque in Australian dollars from
the NZ registry.     What I object to is TLS telling me that they won't do
that any more.   That is why I asked if such a change in policy by TLS
(refusing to issue cheques of any kind) was legal.

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02