Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] Opposing views on RBD

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:57:35 +1300

Hi Macdunk,

>We certainly have opposite view points on RBD.    What
> I fail to understand Is how anyone can lose 44pc In
>their share price In 18 months, then say They will
>free up more funds to throw at this dog because the
>fundamentals are right.

It's quite simple Macdunk.  The lower the price, the better the dividend
yield, and the more attractive the share becomes.

And bringing your investment with hindsight comment up to the context
of today, If you can tell me where the RBD share price will be in 18
months time, then I will tell you for certain if RBD is a good investment
today.

>There Is something wrong with a system that allows this to happen
the
>fundamentals are completely wrong.

Please explain what fundamentals of RBD are completely wrong?    A
declining share price is not, in itself, a fundamental.

>They listed In 1997 at $2.20 I

There has been a bonus share issue since which reduces that
equivalent price to $2.

> Add all the dividends to that and you are still running
> at a loss.

Dividends listing since amount to around 40c (net) or 60c (gross).  My
average entry price is actually $1.42, due to my strategy of buying
when the share price is 'undervalued'.   So actually I am still in profit,
based on a share price of $1.10, whichever way you look at it.
Granted there are many other shares I could have invested in and
done much better with, but who here is betting the farm on KFC?
Perhaps Bongo did!   But I have never advocated that.

>That Is the fundamentals that count perhaps If you add a
> little Ta to your system It might stop you making a clanger
>as costly as that.

My 'system' also means that I am holding SKC, CEN, LPC and WRI in
my 'income' portfolio.     I don't invest in just two or three shares like
Bongo does.    Perhaps you didn't notice that while RBD was going
backwards, SKC and CEN have been moving forwards.  They have
more than made up for the recent RBD losses.

>Remember this dog sold Its kennel not much left to sell
> when It goes under.

I did some of my own research by dining at KFC tonight.   Even though
Turkey and Iraq had just been bombed, there was a steady stream of
customers coming into the KFC 'drive in' lane.    There was a good
smattering of customers inside licking their fingers.   The staff looked
well occupied and the place looked clean.  They even managed to
squeeze around $9 out of me, which was more than I was planning to
spend.   Afterwards I went over the road to check out the competition
(Subway).   KFC was definitely the busier of the two.

Now, I know that was a boring set of non-news anecdotal observations.
But while all the headline news is happening, there is a lot of non-news
going on too.    People going about their daily lives buying takeaway
food.   It's not very interesting and you don't get to hear about it in the
newspapers or on TV, but ultimately that is what is driving KFC.

What was all this about RBD 'going under' again?

> I  look at dividends as an added bonus
> never as a must buy because they happen to be high.

I don't buy only because the dividends are high.  They have to be
sustainable too.    Due to the strong cash flow from RBD, the dividends
are sustainable.

>I learned a lot from you snoopy perhaps
>you might learn from me and fix up your
>selling strategy It badly needs fixing.

While my 'income shares' continue to give me good income, I have no
selling strategy.    Why should I sell when the shares are behaving
exactly as I want them to do?     Even in this 'bad' year, where I have
made 'only' 12%  combined income and capital gain (equivalent to
somewhere around 16% before tax)?   I suppose I could sell my shares
and in so doing, cut my 'income share income' by two thirds while I
waited for a better income opportunity to come along ??!!!?!

However,  just to show you I haven't given up completely on charting I
will now sit on the sidelines and await my next entry point.   'Rationally'
I should be mortgaging the house to the  hilt and stocking up on those
RBD 'share packs'.    But Mr Market isn't always rational.   If T/A gives
me a tool to use when my F/A toolbox is empty, then why not use it?

SNOOPY

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy