Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2003

Re: [sharechat] Below 42

From: "Fiona Phibbs" <fibz@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:40:04 +1300

Hi Philip

The float was a major flop for the public that's for sure, but using even
basic relative valuation techniques this should have been easily identified
as a fizzer.  It highlights the fundamental importance of separating the
company from its share price.  The company may go on to great things and I
hope that they do from a kiwi perspective, but the original public
subscribers may have to wait a while to see a positive return here!

Being a DPC shareholder I'm also concerned the damage the float may do to
the company, who were promoters of the issue.  In an earlier posting I
commented on the risk to the company of being an underwriter - but obviously
underestimated the gullibility of the public because the issue was fully
subscribed!  Sure DPC got their underwriter/promoters fee but must have done
some damage to their client bases through subsidiaries Direct Broking and
Equity Research, who would have been pushing the issue heavily to their
clients.  I don't know what management were thinking here, promoting the
shares on the terms that they did, perhaps they were in a time warp that
placed them back in 1986, or drinking too much of the clients product - who
knows!

I can't help but also comment on the sanity of the NZSX letting a company
list at an unrealistic valuation - it does a lot to promote the market to
the mum and dad investors who again get burnt.  A lesson to be learnt
perhaps - beware anyone that tells you to 'focus on the story' of a company.
In plain language this means  - we can't justify its valuation using any
other conventional means.

Cheers Dean