Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

RE: [sharechat] FA/TA

From: "Gavin Treadgold" <gav@rediguana.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:40:34 +1200

Hi Cristine.

Good point re the time frames. Off the top of my head, I perceive time
period as follows.

Short term - seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months
Mid term - months to years (say 3-5)
Long term - many years (3-5+)

I guess that just serves to highlight the different perspectives we have as
long term investors vs traders! Of course this comes from the different use
of capital the two groups have. Long term investors do not need the capital
on a short term basis and hence have little problems considering investments
that may span decades. Traders on the other hand live on the churn of their
capital.

I'd suggest that Long term investments are primarily FA, whilst short term
(esp <= weeks) are primarily TA. The interesting bit is then around week to
months which is somewhere between TA and FA and perhaps the area where you'd
see the most benefits from combining the two toolsets.

Cheers Gav