Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

Re: [sharechat] FA/TA

From: "Morgy 40" <morgy40@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:49:31 +1200

Trader 100

 A great question. I to await the reply.

Regards

Morgy

>From: "trader 100"
>To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
>Subject: [sharechat] FA/TA
>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:09:34 +0000
>
>Phaedrus,
>
>I am always interested in learning more from you so here are a
>number of questions about your recent post and a bit of background
>on where I am coming from.
>
>Like you I started investing by basing my decisions solely on FA.
>For the reasons you have identified over the years (plus a few
>others) I become disillusioned with this approach. This lead me to
>TA and through the process of developing a system that seemed to fit
>my personality, paper trading the system and then finally trading
>for real. During the time that I have used TA I have based my
>decisions solely on TA thereby ignoring company fundamentals. I too
>have noticed that my bigger losers tend to be companies with poorer
>fundamentals.
>
>I have come to the point of combining TA and FA but am unsure about
>the best way to do it. If TA is at one end of the spectrum and FA
>is at the other I believe that I will always be more comfortable
>closer to the TA end. One option is therefore running my filters in
>Metastock to determine potential trades from a TA perspective and
>then checking the fundamentals on a website such as:
>
>http://investor.ninemsn.com.au/investor/shares/research
>
>(I tend to trade mostly ASX stocks). The problem with this is that
>I believe I will find it very tempting to simply follow the TA
>signal (especially if it is very strong) and ignore the
>fundamentals. The other option is obviously creating a list of
>potential trades based on fundamentals and then running a TA filter
>over these candidates. This would be my preferred option but I am
>unsure how to do it without manually going through each of the 2000
>ASX stocks on the website above. This would need to be updated from
>time to time so the task would seem to be a big one. Have you got
>any ideas on this?
>
>Lastly, what fundamental criteria have you found to be useful for
>separating out the “good” from the “bad”?
>
>I’d appreciate your comments.
>
>Regards,
>
>T100.

>Check out the Xtra gaming servers at http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

With Xtra Jetstream - you can surf the net and talk on the phone! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Outlook for FY2004 Morgy 40