Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2003

[sharechat] warren buffet way by macdunk

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:38:52 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

If we copy his Investment strategies will It work In our market?.
What advantages and disadvantages do we have, and how can we limit the disadvantages when we make our decisions?.
Warren has the advantage of getting his bum on the board.        He has the advantage of Insider knowledge, the ability to manipulate companies, trade one off against the other, buy and sell companies the same way macdunk would buy a new shirt.
For every upside there Is a down side, what Is warrens down side? or Is he the exception to the rule.
Warren has a very big down side, he Is to big to move fast.     It would distort the market he has to grin and take It.    He cant run for cover even If the market collapses, he cant move.    Where do the smart people In our market copy warren and where do we forget It?.       I have every respect for buying the warren way, but my selling strategy which accounts for fifty pc of my Investment transactions Is far removed from what warren would get up to.     There are some Investors that get to Impressed with the advantages that warren has along with buying style, that they continue on and take aboard the disadvantages of an Investor as big as warren.         The average Investor Can be more flexible than warren nip In and out take the cream and leave the whey with very little risk.     The Investors that blindly do It the warren buffet way let themselves down with there track thinking forgetting that warren trades from a totally different position to there own.
The average Investor Is therefore In a better position than warren to make a bigger percentage on there money so why limit ourselves with his handicaps when we don't have them to start with.
It takes a five min phone call to get your money out and start again that Is a massive advantage over warren he Is stuck with It  and has to ride It out.     His Investing methods are very impressive but why ruin It with his handicaps.
We don't have his advantages, so to do It warrens way we must leave out his disadvantages or end up being just mediocre
                cheers   macdunk