Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2003

[sharechat] averages reply by macdunk

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:34:21 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Hi snoopy
               We seem to be discussing the same subject from different angles. The average property Investor regardless of there financial circumstance borrows to Invest, where as the average share market Investor would never dare.    I sold a house to my daughter to prove a point.   I told her It would cost her absolutely nothing.    I rented It to the housing corp  organized finance for her, the rent pays the lot.   She Is sitting on a capital gain, and all It cost her was lawyer fees.  The share market Is a bit more fun requiring one to keep close watch on events.   we are only on about the comparison of averages not the above or below so It Is easy to compare different Investments.  we are stuck with the top forty to work out last financial years average, the same as we are stuck with the average house price over the same period.  my own guess Is property values over the last three years have outpaced share values on average.  The next three years It might be the share markets turn to run hot who knows?.
With a very small deposit and low risk a person can make a lot of money on the property market, but with the same small deposit they could never borrow enough to make It big on the stock market. The main reason I made the post was I thought It would be very Interesting to see how the averages compare to give people a yardstick on there own performances In the different sectors. The only bet I will make snoopy Is you borrowed money for your first house without a worry but you didn't borrow money to buy your first share.  The people that disagree all live In rented houses and play the market to the limit but I cant see you being like that.
                       cheers macdunk.