Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: Re: [sharechat] The Rational Investor ?

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:47:52 +1200

Hi terry,

>>Of course, share trading is much closer to a zero
>> sum game,  which means the average pure share investor will
>> always outperform the average pure share trader.
>
> Hi Snoopy
> I think you are right because the average trader would have sold the
> rights issue  and the smart investor would have added rights issue to
> their portfolio.  T

No Terry, I don't think you fully understand the point I was making.
The value of a shareholding immediately after a rights issue issue
should be the value of the share immediately before the rights issue
was announced plus the money contributed to the rights issue.

No money has been created or destroyed in a rights issue.   If you take
the time period immediately before the rights issue and the time period
immediately afterwards, then no wealth has been created over that
timespan.    This means it is a zero sum game.

Accordingly the expected performance of the trader and the investor
over the period of a rights issue is exactly equal.  This doesn't mean
that it is impossible for any person to make money over the period of a
rights issue.   It simply means that if you average out all the
transactions over all the investors involved then on average, counting
everyone, the overall gain will be nil.

As to whether the person that sold their rights or the person who took
them up was 'smarter' I cannot say, because I haven't studied RCH in
detail.  If RCH is losing money consistently, and will continue to do so,
then RCH is a 'negative sum game' and the investors are fools.

The only thing that gives investors the edge 'long term' is that taking
the market as a whole 'more money is made than lost'.   The people
who make the money on the market - long term-  will be those who
stick around long enough to reap the benefit of the growing earnings
pie (retained earnings/dividends).

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy