Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

[sharechat] Re: Rational Investor?

From: Dean Phibbs <fibz@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:02:47 +1200

Hi Snoopy

Good to hear from you.  I did not say that I agreed with the theory of the rational investor or efficient markets, your putting words in my mouth here (or should it be bits in my bit stream?), but was merely giving a simple situation that on face value looked like an interesting example of where they were not.

I can't see your logic in regards to the bank draft at all.  For one you could arrange one over the phone for about $20- $50 which means that for the transaction to be uneconomic the investors would have had to have a total share holding of roughly only $200- $500. Unlikely.

And concerning the question of whether the company should have advised its owners to pay in US$. is "no" the best that you can come up with.  For a WW 1 veteran (and my hero) you disappoint me Snoopy.  Taking for granted that RCH would have already arranged forward currency cover for the rights issue to reduce their risk of  an adverse currency movement.  It would have been a fine goodwill act on the company's behalf to advise its shareholders at the beginning of the rights issue to pay in $US if in between the issue date and the closing date of the issue the $US appreciated against the $NZ.  In my opinion this issue of integrity is one of the reasons that our market is seen as one from the 'wild west' from the perspective of mum an dad investors and precludes their involvement - Mark Weldon can see this fact better than anyone.  If you think about it in the end this has ramifications for all investors, including you Snoopy.

Dean