Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

RE: [sharechat] Capital Notes & yeild

From: "Sethi, Vijay" <v.sethi@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:29:50 +1200

Title: Memo
Peter

To calculate yield to maturity (YTM) you need to have informtion on
a) face value of the note
b) the coupon rate ie the rate at which interest is paid out.
c) the frequency of the interest payment ie semi-annual or annual.
d) the purchase date
e) the maturity date
f) the purchase price

Then there is a big formula that calculates the YTM - most financial calculators like HP17BII or HP12C have this formula built in. If you do not have access to these calculators you could use the "YIELD" function in MS EXCEL to calculate. You could browse around other similar formulas in MS EXCEL that calculate yields and prices of other fixed income securities to see what suits your purpose. I am also assuming this is Australian or New Zealand bond - Americal bonds have a different parameter - their interest rate calculation work on a 360 day year as opposed to 365 day year mostly used in commonwealth countries!!

For more detailed understanding you need to understand and work thru "Time Value of Money" - any decent university financial text book should include that!

Hope this helps

Kind regards
Vijay