Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: [sharechat] WHS and Trend Followers

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:46:39 +1200

Hi Phaedrus,

> Snoopy,
>Your argument is illogical. Before I tackle your
>misconceptions, let's define a trend and a trend follower so
>that we are at least discussing the same things:-

Let's just stop here, because it is obvious we are talking around
different definitions.

My definition of a trend follower is simply someone who bases their
buying/selling on what other people in the market are doing.

By contrast, a fundamentalist is someone who bases their buying/
selling actions on financial data that emerges directly from the
investment target company.

By my somewhat broader definition of trend following, there is no need
to have any knowledge of 'ema's or even own a computer at all.  As I
said before I am thinking more in terms of the coffee table trader who
buys because his mates are doing it, and because the share has
bounced three times off an historical support level, as they
remembered it by reading in the paper.   By the same logic this person
might sell because everyone else was selling.   Now you may not call
that trading, but it certainly isn't investing based on fundamentals.

There was a time when traders didn't have computers Phaedrus!

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02