Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

[sharechat] Dogs Tales of the Century

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:24:11 +1200

So you want to hear about my investments that didn't go to plan?

My biggest disappointment of the century so far must have been Air
New Zealand.    It was looking to become the number two player in an
Ausralasian airspace duopoly and then....

Well I have written all about it before in a post that is archived as part
of the 'Learning to Invest' series, titled 'Air Ansett Affair' IIRC.    Of
course when I made my first investment into that company I had barely
heard of Buffett and what he had to say about airlines.  I saw AIR as a
top brand name with a good high yielding payout in a growth industry.

I was probably a little naieve about the debt position of the company
focussing on things like debt equity ratio, which looked OK, rather than
looking at the long term ability of the company to repay its debts which
told a different story!

The crazy thing was I was looking to boost my holdings in the tourism
sector when the AIA float came to the market.    And I picked AIR as a
better investment that AIA!   LOL!   Well, it did have a better yield and
a more respected brandname  ( Auckland International Who?, this was
1998 remember ).    Then again it was really after 1998  that things
went badly off track for AIR.

RBD?    Yes that has been a little disappointing.    My big mistake
there over the last year was believing all the marketing hype put out by
the management that Australia and Starbucks were going to launch the
company into the stratosphere.   If you look back on the focus
investment board under RBD you will see archived there a post
suggesting RBD may get to $3 quite quickly (how embarrassing now!).
But if you believed the hype then buying shares at around $2 like I did
last year made sense.

If I'd paid more attention to the focus investment principles of only
investing in companies that have a solid record of profit growth over 5
years rather than just a *promise* of the same I might not have been so
keen to jump in.   But unlike other shares I have invested in, I have
picked up my holding in RBD in bite sized chunks over the years.   My
average entry price is now $1.45 which is not too far away from today's
market value.  And the dividend yield is still good!   Much better than I
would have had if I had tucked that same money away in a term
deposit at the bank.    So while a disappointment, I would hardly call
RBD a disaster.   I'm quite happy to keep holding them.

Anyone else got a dog tale of the century to tell?   Given that we can
often learn more from our mistakes than when things go right, it might
prove an interesting discussion topic

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy