Re: [sharechat] Executive Performance (was wri pgg wkl )

From: "Hans Van der Voorn" <vandervoorn@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:25:48 +1200

Snoopy,

As point of clarification Selwyn Cushing was never a chief executive at
Electricorp, I believe he may have been the Deputy Chairman. Rod Deane was
in fact CEO before he went to Telecom, followed by Dave Frow. In terms of
Cushings comments at the time, I'm sure they weren't particularly prescient
but reflecting the views of a then monopoly organisation about to lose its
dominant position. And I don't think he's been proved right on the
electricity market either. I would suggest it's a case of too much
government owned involvement not too little.From that point he may be seen
in hindsight to have more misses than hits overall.

In terms of Ron Brierley, I think it's more a question of horses for
courses. Just because he is good at spotting value opportunities and
manouevring his way through them doesn't make him qualified the chair a
bank, which he patently wasn't.

Another interesting case of management is Greg Muir of WHS. My prediction
would be that WHS performance under his leadership will be significantly
less than under Stephen Tindall. Admittedly an easy call to make based on
the current shareprice.

Hans