Re: [sharechat] about NZSE 50

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:40:55 +1200

Hi Simin,

> Will the launch of NZSE 50 bring disadvantage to the index fund
> manager or just bring advantage to them?

The job on the index fund manager is to mirror the index, whatever it is.
The NZSE50  index includes dividends.  This means that in order to
mirror this index, an index fund manager must retain earnings and not
pay them out to index fund holders ( I think!).

How this will work in practice I am not sure.  Will index fund managers
be required to keep a large cash account into which all dividends are
paid?  Perhaps I have got it wrong, but your question is interesting
Simin.

Perhaps someone who is involved in the index fund industry might like
to comment?    Does this mean more work for index fund managers so
that fees must go up?

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy