Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

Re: Re: [sharechat] Sars etc

From: "Allan Potts" <ajp7079@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:42:03 -0400 (EDT)

First of all, HAPPY ANZAC DAY to everyone.  If the technology had been more
advanced perhaps some of you could email me some of those cookies.

Common cold hasn't been cured because it does not threaten thousands of lives.
(yes, I happen to believe AIDS is a completely different ballgame)

I don't know many Kiwi's that like Helen Clark -- perhaps I just know the right
one's.  Her pronouncements have almost no currency here in the US.  I find
absolutely no animosity toward the Kiwi's for not actively backing the US in
the Iraqi war.

To those of you who think we're going to engage in a big retaliation program,
well I'll turn it back on you -- YOU DO NOT know the Americans very well.  Yes
we are a patriotic lot, to be sure (especially since 9/11) but,we are also very
diverse in our culture, our society and our politics.  France and Germany are
getting all the flak, because we pulled France's fanny out of the fire twice
and many suspect both France and Germany had economic interests that kept them
from backing the effort. I know of no economic interest that colored NZ's
decision.

I might also point out that I don't live under a rock.  I'm fairly well plugged
in and haven't heard so much as a hint that NZ is on the black list.  We still
use Fisher & Paykel products at my Health Maintenance Organization, stores
still sell Fisher & Paykel appliances, and most of the muscles I see in our
stores are from NZ to say nothing of the Lamb.  Don't worry, be happy, we're
not your enemy.

In all fairness to the French, they pulled our fannies out of the fire too, at
the very begining, when we had our disagreement with George, and we were very
thankful for that.  That however was 200+ years ago and over the  past 25 years
or so they have been flacid in their support of many of our efforts.
(legitimate ones)  We do have a question for the French and Germans -- if you
get in trouble -- who are you going to call? A. Sadaam Insane  B. Russia
C.Japan
D. North Korea  E. Raratonga  F. The United States.  Even a Frenchmen could
figure that out.

But seriously, I don't think any economic boycott is going to befall NZ because
of this.

Enjoy your holiday and quit worrying.

Allan