Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] The 'magic' 15% (was Re: EVA)

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:30:14 +0000

Hi Michael,

>Return on equity and earnings per share growth are not
>related to each other.
>
>Return on  equity is simply a measurement of how the net profit
>performed against the equity employed. Earnings growth, on the
>other hand, is an indication of how much net profit grew over the
>past year or an average of , say, the last ten years.

Imagine a company had shareholders equity of $1 per share.   Return
on equity is 15% every year.  So net profit after tax was 15c
per share after year one (after tax).  Now imagine all of those
profits were reinvested.

Shareholders equity at the start of year 2 is $1.00 + 15c = $1.15.
So return on this new total of shareholders equity is
 $1.15 x 0.15 = 17.25c (after tax).   Again all of the profits are
reinvested back into the business, so the net assets at the start of
year three are $1.325.  Rather than go on like this, it is easier to
see things in a table:

Year, Net Assets ps, eps, dps, retained earnings ps

2000, $1.00, 0.15, 0, 0.15
2001, $1.15, 0.175, 0, 0.175
2002, $1.325, 0.20, 0, 0.20
2003, $1.525, 0.23, 0, 0.23
2004, $1.755, 0.263, 0, 0.263
2005, $2.02

Notice here the pattern of earnings per share year after year:

0.15, 0.175, 0.20, 0.23, 0.263

Notice that each year earnings are growing at 15%.

0.15x 1.15= 1.175, 0.175 x1.15= 0.20, etc....

So while it is true to say that earnings per share and ROE are
not dependent on each other (which means you can't figure out one
from the other) I wouldn't say they are not connected.  It is the
retained earnings that feed the equity base.  And it is the ROE that
turns the equity base into earnings.

Furthermore, it is possible to have ROE and earnings per share growth
the same value (in this case 15%) even if they are the same value
'by chance', not because they are related.

If a company has an ROE of exactly 15% every year (after tax), then
it cannot grow its earnings at more than 15% per year in the long
term unless it reinvests all its profits.

If a company has an ROE of more than 15% per year then it can pay out
some of its earnings as dividends and still grow earnings at 15% per
year.

If a company has a long term ROE of less than 15%, then it is
impossible to grow earnings at 15% per year over the long term.

> The more earnings retained the more
>difficult it is to maintain the same or better return in
>future years.

Generally yes, but there is no mathematical reason why this has to be
so.

What about 'the Warehouse'?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."