Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] EVA

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:53:40 +0000

Hi Bill

>I have just started reading a NZ Book called"Finance" by Susan
>Hansen. So far only reached page 19 in which she discusses Economic
>Value Added. The Reality of achieving EVA In the past Telecom NZ has
>been applauded as the only NZ company to leap the EVA hurdle since
>1990.It did not achieve this in 2000 and 2001. Philip Morris, the
>tobacco company is the only publicly owned company in the United
>States, possibly, the world (there are certainly none in New Zealand
>or Australia),that has grown its earnings (as measured by earnings
>per share) by more than 15% annually since 1960. So why do many
>companies set targets in excess of this ' very difficult to achieve
>number'.

Can you rephrase this please.  Are you just quoting from the book (
a rheotorical phrase) or do you have a question?

Are you suggesting that many NZ publicly listed companies are on
record as saying that they are trying to grow their earnings at more
than 15% annually since 1960?  Where does this claim come from, and
which companies are you talking about?

Why have you titled this thread 'EVA' when the concept didn't exist
in 1960?

Sorry, I'm not really with you on this one.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."