Re: [sharechat] War against Iraq

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:36:16 +0000

Hi michael,

>It seems increasingly likely to me that at some time or other the
>U.S. is going to invade Iraq. Isn't it reasonable to assume that
>when this happens there will be a sharp drop in the value of
>sharemarkets globally

Have you been paying attention?   Are the world markets higher or
lower than they were, say, six months ago?

>- probably not a sharp drop like September 11
> given that it won't be a surprise but some kind of significant
> correction

Why would the market make a correction, if it was not a surprise?

>Doesn't it make sense, then, right at this time,
> to be cashed up on the sidelines waiting for this to happen?

It always makes sense to have some cash available to take advantage
of *unexpected* events.

> Why buy shares now and watch the market spike downwards when an
> invasion happens?

There's an old investment saying:

"Sell on the rumour, buy on the fact" (with bad news)

I think you will find that if the USA invaded Iraq tomorrow, the
market would spike upwards almost immediately, and gold will plunge
in value.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz