Re: [sharechat] SNOOPY -- WHS/COSTCO

From: "Allan Potts" <ajp7079@excite.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:09:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear Snoopy,

I think I have some revealing info for you, The Independent and STUFF.  While I
am not privy to the population requirements of COSTO stores, I can offer you
the following.

I live in San Diego, California, where the story began.  Our County population
as at 2001 was 2,862,819.  We have 12, yes TWELVE, COSTCO stores in San Diego
County.

Some adjustments   probably should be made to this raw data to be even more
useful.  First, we have been growing, so let us round this up to say 3,000,000
people.  (actually I don't think we're quite that big yet)  Second, two of the
stores are located approx. 8 and 12 miles from the border with Mexico in Chula
Vista, San Diego Co's second largest city ,after San Diego itself.  These two
stores therefore serve the 2nd largest city and the many people that come
across from Mexico, to scoop up the bargains.  Let us say for the purpose of
being very conservative, that the two Chula Vista
stores serve no US residents, only the Mexican residents.

That leaves us with 10 stores serving 3,000,000 people or 300,000 people per
store.  I don't know where the 1,000,000 came from, but I can tell you that the
lines are very long at the COSTCO stores and inside is somewhat like an ant
hill.

While every single item they sell is not a steal, I offer the following from
memory.

24 very long stem roses $12.99  vs  $35.00 for  only 12 at the florist.

48 AA  Alkaline batteries with a seven year shelf life for $10.95 vs about
three times that at your local store.

Automobile tires at about 75% of other discount stores, with an unbelievable
guarantee.  Automobile batteries, best in town.

Books of all kinds discounted apporx. 40%.

1.75 ML of Jack Daniel's Whiskey $25.95 vs $35.95 at the local supermarket.

Best prices on gasoline in town -- always a line, even with 32      pumps
going.

And it goes on and on and on.

Yes Snoopy, I'm concerned about COSTCO going into NZ, because I still hold WHS.
 Actually, I'm happy for the Kiwi's if they do go in because they will raise
your standard of living appreciably.

Oh! buy the way we also have s Sam's Club here which is Wal-Mart's answer to
COSTCO.  While not as good, they're close and the store is absolutely Huge.
1,000,000/store -- I don't think so, at least not here.  I think that
neighboring Orange Co. and Los Angeles Co. probably have about the same ratios,
but I'd have to do some digging to confirm this.

Nervous,

Allan