Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2003

[sharechat] Investing in Steel - Jan 2003 Update

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:53:41 +0000

We've heard quite a bit about the increase in gold price over the
last year on this forum.  But few here will know about the 'less
newswortherly sexy' parallel increase in the price of steel (as a
proxy for this I'll use the hot rolled coil price from $US89.7 per
tonne to $US127.2 in a year).  This is a 41% increase in $US terms in
twelve months.

Why this increase has occurred in a global industry that is
apparently burdened by overcapacity I cannot fully explain.  Perhaps
consolidation of producers in the European steel sector, which some
industry players use as a price setting proxy, might explain it?
Perhaps there are quality or transportation issues in fully utilising
the capacity of world steel manufacturing plants (currently 80%
according to industry experts) which means that the industry is
running at closer to capacity than we all think?  Whatever the
reason, there is no doubt that the last year has been hugely
profitable for 'investors in steel' downunder.

It is interesting to look at a graph of the share price performance
of the two largest steel makers in Australasia, OneSteel (OST) and
BHP Steel (BSL) over this period (graph attached).   Also overlayed
on the graph is the monthly average US dollar price of hot rolled
coil steel.  If you imagine all those red/ochre figures joined up in
a line you can see a definite correlation between all three lines.

Following an initial period of consolidation, it is the BHP Steel
price that has moved up most sharply in response to the increase in
hot rolled coil prices.   As the share with the biggest
'manufacturing' component to its operations this is no surprise.  I
mentioned in December that I considered BSL fully but fairly priced
at $3.10, as it basked in an industry sweet spot.  At around $3.40
this sweet spot now has a good dollop of cream on top to my way of
thinking.  I can't explain any increase in BSL price from here
forwards on fundamentals. Perhaps it is simply due to Aussie
investors hungry for a good income share?   Perhaps it is time to
hand over to the T/A guys?

Whatever the reason, the increase in share price is very good for
those investors considering the switch from BSL to OST.  I'm picking
March/April, dividend season might be the time to make this switch
for NZ investors.  I still like OST for the inventory management cost
savings that are possible, and have been done at subsidiary Steel and
Tube.  I don't think these have been factored into the Australian
share price as yet.  No OST is not my 'favourite' Australian share,
but I do think it is too good to be ignored.

Meanwhile back at home, Steel and Tube maintains its trading
price range between $3.05 and $3.25.  I guess the ongoing share buy
back will give a stable outlook for the STU share price for much of
the rest of the year.  I still really respect Steel and Tube, (a
great income share) but it isn't quite cheap enough for the bargain
hunter in me.  I'll report again in February with my thoughts on my
upcoming 'operation BSL-OST steel share switch'.

SNOOPY

discl: hold BSL (and a very few OST)

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Stay on the upside of the downside,
Anticipate the anticipation!"

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,