Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2003

Re: [sharechat] Telecom Outlook 2003 (was Snoopy 2002 Review)

From: "Morgy" <morgy40@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 11:49:07 +1300

Snoopy, winner 69

Having resisted the early migration to 027 on the advice of a Telecom dealer
(he said the handsets at that time werent good enough at that time, 18
months ago) last week my handset give up the ghost and I invested in a shiny
new ericsson all the bells and whistles unit.
It is easy  to understand the developing potential of this 2 ounce minefield
of information once you start to use it, particularly as it conicides with a
new busness venture that allows me to keep in touch with my email while on
the road. I am truly impressed.

Within a few days I checked out what I believe is the other half of the
package, a PDA unit, at about $1000.00 (more or less dependant upon your
needs) you have a totally portable world.
A laptop would be the only other requirement and the world is truly your
oyster.

Coincidently at the same time I was upgrading, I recieved a letter form
Teressa saying that with the migration to 027 you snails still on 025 (phew,
not me) will have to pay a access fee of $5 per month because of the support
required for the old technlogy, but good news you could upgrade if you were
still on a 025 contract term with no penalties. NO hedging in this message,
get on or move out

Additionally, I read an article in the newspaper by Teressa prior to xmas
absolutely slagging vodaphone and there technology and pointing out how
dated it was now being proven and the inroads being made by Telecoms
technology particularly in the asian economies. It sounded like a "See, I
was right after all "
article but having delved into the full story I believe that Telecom, in NZ
at least, will be up there at the forefront of the technology for the next
generation as it continues to roll out. They may have been behind the 8 ball
in the kids marketing for texting but they are now catching up and getting
there message to market I believe.

2G, 5G, 10G, whatever it is Telecom will be there, they cant afford to
become isolated as Air New Zealand did.
My final comment is that if the technology is there they will find ways to
bring it to market in methods we may not realise exist yet.

New Years greetings to all

Morgy