Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2003

[sharechat] Telecom Outlook 2003 (was Snoopy 2002 Review)

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:06:29 +0000

Hi winner69,

>You mentioned Telecom and said that they might surprise this year
>and mention the launch of 3G with Hutchison in Australia.
>
>The AFR reported that Hutchison's Hong Kong-based parent could
>conceivably abandon its 3G plans if growth in the UK and Italy
>markets do not materialise as expected.
>
>What impact do you think this will have on Telecom if it eventuates?

Hmmm, I'm not really sure I'm qualified to answer that!  What was it
that Warren said about only investing in businesses you understand?

When I made my major investment in Telecom I *thought* I understood
it.  Now I'm not so sure!  It looks like internet has reached
some kind of ceiling, at least in terms of telco profitability.  So
whether this golden goose is simply taking a breather or is
permanently out to lunch I cannot say!

Personally I think this 3G phone thing is madness, with hundreds of
millions of dollars being poured into something where demand is
totally unproven.  Still, even our own 'Dad' on this forum Ben seems
to be getting into it, with the mobile share price text messaging
service.  So if this application can have merit, why not others?  It
would be interesting to get a comment from Ben on the progress of his
initiative if he can do so without giving away commercially sensitive
information!

I was amazed that on my two day sortie to the skifields this year to
see a teenager call up the text ski report on their mobile phone.
It didn't matter that the same thing was sitting on the bed and
breakfast noticeboard in printed out fax form.  They called it up by
mobile anyway.   I don't claim to be a great student of human
behaviour at the best of times, but as far as 3G phone use goes I
think I'm totally off the wavelength.  Perhaps it has something to do
with the fact that I'm a mobile phone hold-out!

If Hutcheson 3G is delayed, I can only see it being good for Telecom,
at least in cash flow terms this year.  The problem is that AAPT will
lose its first mover impetus, which could be costly in the long run.

Closer to home we have the 027 (2.5G)/025 thing.  It seems NZers are
slowly moving to 027, but I don't understand the full implications of
this.  I know the pricing on the 027 plans is more favourable, but I
presume this is an artificial marketing strategy not related to cost.
What happens to all those 025 repeaters if/when 025 network
usage drops below a critical level?  Can this technology be recycled
to be used with 027, or are we looking at another huge capital write
off for Telecom?  Any 3G phone gurus out there that can answer these
questions and give us more insight?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz