Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2002

Re: [sharechat] NZSE40 1987

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:58:15 +0000

Hi Phaedrus and Bill,

>I don't know when that Sell advice was given,

According to the volume in my bookshelf "Making Money
on The New Zealand Sharemarket" co-authored by Phil
Briggs this advice was given "early in 1987".

>but to my mind
>the earliest irrefutable indication of weakness was when the
>Index broke below the confirmed upward trendline that had held
>for nearly five years. This was on 20/10/87.

Unfortunately the crash was on October 19th.

So my conclusion is that T/A would not have saved you, at least in
any 'predictive' sense.  The other problem is that there was no
internet trading in 1987, so it is doubtful that you could have even
spoken to your broker amongst all the phone line mayhem.

Even if you had got through, I personally knew someone who ordered
their broker to sell and they didn't do it!

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"