Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2002

[sharechat] A NOVICE TO THE FORE

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:52:52 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

I would like to share some of my views with fellow posters.

Being a very practical trade person, with a few dollars in the NZ Markets, I feel qualified to open myself up for your feedback.   In other words posters, tell me I'm a dummy if you see me in that light.   I find the rubbish I read about investing in the papers by most of the columnists hard to take.

I would never back half the horses in a race to find the winner.   I find it very strange indeed at the shares they are silly enough to own in their disclosure of interest.   I look at the Share Guru competition at the Brokers selections and think there isn't a fool greater than an educated one.

I hold shares in at most, five companies at any given time.   I look for trends and growth mostly, with an odd high dividend yield in others.   All companies must be on a rising profit margin with expectation of doing better.   We can all make a bad choice but stick with what you understand.   Winston Churchill once said "there are only two kinds of fools in this world, those that give advice and those that take it".   I am very pleased that I am not fool enough to take advice and please tell me to shut up if it looks like I'm giving it.

My disclosure is, I have four out of the five in the Share Guru competition, so look me up.   I never have shares in a company if they start anything up overseas, (they have big boys over there).

Scotland Forever,    MACDUNK