Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2002

[sharechat] Investing in Steel

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:23:10 +0000

Remember 'Neighbours'?

Well I've got a pilot storyline for a new Aussie soap I'd like to run
past sharechat readers.

------------

In a quiet city-side suburb lives a woman, an ambitious matriarchal
giant named Brokenhillia and her two daughters, Othelia and Asteelia.

Next door lives a hard working fellow of solid character.  He has no
personality at all but is nevertheless a good bloke.  His name is
Tube.   Brokenhillia takes a bit of a liking to Tube.   A couple of
loose weather-boards appear in the fence between their respective
backyards.  One night after she has put the girls to bed Brokenhillia
slips through the hole in the fence and doesn't come back until seven
o'clock the following morning.  The small girls barely notice this
new found liaison at first since 'mother' has seemingly boundless
energy.   A few years later when they have reached the age of
understanding what is happening they don't dare question it
because of mother's boundless power!

One weekend many years later the normally tyrannical Brokenhillia is
out of town for three days.   It was a sudden call away and the now
teenage Othelia notices the light burning expectantly in Tube's
bedroom window next door.  Curious, she slips through the back fence
and doesn't come back until the morning.  The next night the same
thing happens except that Brokenhillia  comes back early and creeps
into Tubes bedroom only to find him in bed with her daughter!
Furious, she bellows so loudly that Tube is forced to sell his house
and move away.  He takes Othelia, now cast out of the family home,
with him.  Brokenhillia immediately takes up 'officially' with a new
South African lover who she was two timing while carrying on with
Tube anyway.

With new lover in tow, Brokenhillia pays less and less attention to
her remaining daughter.  Asteelia vows to get back at her mother by
setting up a secret video camera in her mother's bedroom and filming
her nocturnal activities for sale as a porn movie!  And guess who
volunteers to act as distributor for this porn movie?  Her own sister
Othelia!  When Brokenhillia finds out about this arrangement she
throws  Asteelia out of the house vowing never to speak to either of
her daughters again.  Brokenhillia marries her South African lover
and now calls herself 'BrokenhilliaBilliton'.

However, seeing another opportunity for revenge,  Asteelia changes
her name by deedpoll to 'Brokenhillia-Asteelia' and decides to go
about impersonating her mother.  Meanwhile Othelia is growing tired
of Tube and can't decide whether to divorce him or murder him, wipe
all traces of his name off this earth and just surreptitiously take
over his assets.

-------------

Now I know what you are thinking.  What sort of twisted imagination
must I have to come up with as dastardly a plot as this?

Actually none, as if you substitute BHP for 'Brokenhillia', Onesteel
for 'Othelia' BHP Steel for 'Asteelia' and 'Steel & Tube' for 'Tube'
this little pilot outline pretty much sums up the relationships
between the four respective 'steel' companies and how they developed.
 And you thought investing in steel was boring!

Long time holders of BHP shares will have their own little pieces of
'Othelia' and 'Asteelia' after both of these companies were spun off
from their parent.   A legitimate question to ask is whether one
should continue to hold these shares or whether they would be better
sold and swapped for the local boy, (Steel &) Tube.  Over the next
few days I hope to shed some light on this incestuous question.

SNOOPY

disclosure:  Hold a few OST and BSL and am wondering what to do with
them.

Message posted by Harry Tennyson
 using Pegasus Mail 2.55
I have Word 97 to read attachments

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Daily ShareChat News Summary The ShareChat Team