Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2002

Re: [sharechat] Profiting from Market Inefficiencies

From: "allan potts" <pottsallan@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 15:27:46 -0700

Thank you for your considerate answer.  Actually I agree with your
reasoning.  The real reason I asked was not to obtain insight into your
expertise, but another reason altogether.  When we were in Christchurch some
years ago we ran into a CPA and his wife in a Bistro.  We engaged in a
lengthy conversation and ended going to their home for drinks and a very
extended evening/morning.  He was very much interested in American
politics and I interested in NZ taxation laws.  I think we talked until 1:30
AM and Sherry and I had an early morning commitment (7:00AM)  Unfortunately
I did not get his name and have regretted it since, as we have kept in touch
with so many other great KIWI'S.

Since you mentioned that you were the only Tennyson in the   phone book, I
just wondered if by some chance that, that was you we met on that evening.
Again, I wasn't being nosey, but wondering if by some chance.............

>From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
>To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
>Subject: Re: [sharechat] Profiting from Market Inefficiencies
>Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 22:04:25 +0000
>
>Hi allan,
>

> >Dear Snoopy,
> >
> >What type of work do/did you do prior to this??
> >Answer me privately if you would like to.
> >

>Hmmm, you make it sound like I do nothing else but plan my day around
>'sharechat'.  I must admit there have been periods of a few days
>where it feels like it ;-).
>
>I'm not going to answer your question for the following reason.  I
>wish my posts on this forum to be judged *only* on their content, and
>not to be read with one hand while at the same time being judged
>along the lines:
>
>"Snoopy thinks that because of having a background working in 'so and
>so'"
>
>I don't wish any of my posts to be tarnished with my background
>because I 'have done' or 'have not done' something, or because I
>'have got' or 'have not got' some qualification.  Whether I am a
>retired CEO of a major company or a fifteen year old kid who has
>learned most of what they know about business by reading old fish and
>chip newspaper wrappers should be of no consequence as I see it.  An
>ex CEO can post rubbish and a fifteen year old kid can post good
>stuff and vica versa.  Let each post be judged on the merits of it's
>content I say!  I think everyone on this forum has something to
>offer, and also that no-one is above having their view challenged.
>
>Having said that, I also feel strongly that every person who posts
>(including me) has the ability to improve themselves.  A moderate
>level of mathematical literacy is desirable:  The ability to not
>only read graphs but understand what is behind them, for instance.
>Further, I think the ability to understand the 'numerical' side of
>company annual reports is useful.  I think the ability to understand
>the concepts of discounted cash flows and compounded returns are
>skills I wouldn't be without.  Also the ability to not be distracted
>by 'side issues' (events that may seem important on a day to day
>basis but are not) is a fairly useful skill to have.
>
>Despite what I have just said (or not said by not telling you
>anything), one item of disclosure is important for me.  Namely if I
>am posting about a share I think it is important that people know
>whether I hold that share or not.  This is the kind of bias that can
>have a material effect on a post that every reader should know
>about.
>
>SNOOPY

>Message sent by Snoopy
>e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
>on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
>"Sometimes to see the wood from the trees,
>you have to cut down all the trees."

>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
> [...]

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Monday Nick McCaw