Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2002

Re: [sharechat] NZSE & ASX - getting involved

From: Holden Glova <dsafari@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:40:18 +1200

Many thanks to those that provided some initial guidance. I've since read most
of the information in the sharechat | education section and some things are
starting to make sense - I can now read candlesticks! :) While trying to
absorb this new domain I came across a term at
http://www.incrediblecharts.com.au called 'stock screens'. They say it is a
way to grab a list of potential stocks that might warrant further
investigation. I have decided I would like to learn as much I can about
Technical Analysis skills and imagine I would probably be comfortable as a
short-term trader, probably not much longer then 3 months if I could help it.
So I would like to practice what I learn for a month with some real stocks,
make a mock portfolio and see how it goes. To cut a long story short, how do
I find a list of companies to monitor so I can try identify areas of support,
resistance, and both upward/downward trends? I cannot use the program freely
available from the incredible charts website because I don't have a Windows
computer, I use Linux.

Thanks again in advance for any assistance provided.

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:17, Holden Glova wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having been a lurker here for a week, I have decided to go out on a limb
> and ask those that are far more knowledgeable then myself. I am not sure if
> this is the correct forum to post such questions, if it is not I apologize
> for the extra noise.
>
> SUMMARY
> Any direction on where I can learn more about the sharemarket is
> appreciated. Specifically, where can I find out what to look for in a
> possible investment? Where can i learn how to know when to get out?
>
> BACKGROUND
> I've been a student most of my life. My background is in the aviation
> industry studying to be a commercial pilot, then making a sharp turn toward
> software development. I have finished my software development degree 2
> years ago and only now am starting to be able to save enough money for
> investments.
>
> CURRENT SITUATION
> I have made an investment in managed funds (which has taken a sharp loss),
> but I feel somewhat bored with this investment as I was just basically
> taking what the financial manager told me as gospel. I would like to learn
> more about what to look for so I can make educated decisions on my own. I
> would like to trade on the NZSE and ASX.
>
> QUESTIONS
> I would be really appreciative to anyone that can point me in the direction
> of learning some things about the sharemarket:
> - What do you look for in a possible investment? Obviously you look for
> something that you think will go up, but how does one have any idea that it
> will rise?
> - What are signs that it will possibly drop?
> - Does anyone recommend those 'learn the sharemarket' CDROMs on the
> sharechat homepage?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any direction provided.

- --
Signed,
Holden Glova