Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

[sharechat] Long Gumboots and WRI

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:07:02 +0000

One of the most useful items of farm attire is the long gumboot.
In winter what was firm pasture land can turn to soft mud.  The higher
your boot, the less likely you are to get brown socks.

Farmers know this, and no doubt so do the sales staff at WRI.

"The New Zealand economy has slowed but continues to perform well.
Business investment and growth are reflected in the large number of
new jobs being created.  During the year the Reserve Bank found it
necessary to take action to steady excess demand which was putting
inflation targets at risk.  The resultant rise in interest rates and
strengthening of the New Zealand dollar had adverse impact on farm
incomes and debt servicing costs."

A good summary of today's situation?  Actually it was written by
Sir Ron Trotter, Chairman of Wrightsons in 1995, and was part of
his chairman's report of that year.

I thought it might be interesting to overlay the revenues of 1995
onto today's cost structure and see what happens.  In 1995
Wrightson's was rather a different beast as it still had its
financial arm.  So rather than take revenues exactly as reported in
1995, we only take the revenue streams that remain today:

1995 Revenues:

Livestock Commission Revenue $33.0m
Wool Revenue                 $27.4m
Real estate Commissions      $13.4m
Seeds Group Turnover         $53.9m
Agrifeeds                    $10.0m
Warehouse Merchandising     $376.0m

Total                       $513.7m

2001 Cost of sales:         $548.5m
                           --------

Profit (loss)               ($34.8m)

However, there is good reason to believe that the FY2002-2003 is not
going to be this bad.   The 1995 year included the big drought in
Hawkes Bay, and sheep and beef farmers were suffering their lowest
prices for many seasons.  Furthermore the benefits of GATT had yet to
really flow through.  If we accept that the value of livestock has
risen by 50% between 1995 and 2002, then the livestock commission
should also increase in proportion.

If we then add in an adjustment for inflation of 1% per year
compounded over 7 years (that makes a 7.2% increase in the revenue
obtained from Warehouse merchandising), then we can add a
representative incremental figure as a merchandise revenue price
adjustment.  We now have:

Livestock Commission Increment $16.5m
Merchandising Increment        $27.1m

These adjustments more than wipe out our projected 'loss'.  The
expected profit is now $8.8m, or 6.6c per share.  Based on a share
price of $1 this is a gross yield of 8%, which is hardly a disaster.

The gumboots may have sunk a bit into the mud.  But the income
investor is a long way from having brown socks.

SNOOPY

disclosure:  Hold WRI

Message posted by Harry Tennyson
 using Pegasus Mail 2.55
I have Word 97 to read attachments

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Daily ShareChat News Summary The ShareChat Team