Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: [sharechat] Valuing Hotel Companies

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:25:55 +0000

> I know some of you out there own shares in companies that run
> hotels. How do you value such companies, and why?

OK, no-one bit, so I want to see if anyone can pick holes in my
own theory.

Traditionally property companies are always valued at around
10% below their asset backing.

This seems to be a good rule of thumb because if rents start to rise,
then the property is revalued upwards to reflect the rent increase
boosting the asset backing and restoring a share price discount to
NTA.  Conversely if properties are 'over-rented'(sic), then properties
are written down in value, and, surprise surprise, this better
reflects the market share price.

However, I have observed that hotel companies sometimes struggle to
even achieve this 90% of NTA value when quoted on the sharemarket.
My theory is that because they are not always occupied fully there is
an extra discount factor that must be used to value hotel companies.

Does anyone agree?  Or is there some other reason?  If there should
be an extra discount factor, what should this extra discount factor
be?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."