Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: [sharechat] Time for the troops to rally around the flag

From: "Nick Kearney" <nickk@quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:29:26 +1200

I agree with Nick in some respects and Steven in others.  I can see a rally soon....it won't last long though.  Maybe 2-4 weeks.  I expect PPT to buy up large.

The rally cannot hide the truth however.  The market will win and that market will produce a recession in US next year.  Here mid - late next year maybe 2004.  Once the US consumer stops spending the US will close its doors to exports (or stop importing, whatever way you look at it). Our export sector will start crying in their milk (oops sorry Fonterra...no pun intended!).  The rising dollar will hurt exporters too.  The latest US trade figures saw the trade deficit @ US 34 billion for the last quarter.  The US economy is slowing grinding to a great, big, fat, halt.

In February next year 'Dubbya' will try to kill Saddam and Oil prices will go ballistic.  Gold will follow.  I'm already looking at Oil future markets which will be new investing for me.

Let's have a guess at the next company to report dodgy stuff.  I say AOL/Time Warner.  We live in interesting times.

Cheers.
Nk