Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

Re: [sharechat] DOW V NIKKEI

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:08:57 +0000

Hi Nick,

>Before I get replies (if anybody cares!), think about this.  The US
>economy is the engine room of the world.  Like it or not.  When it
>stops so does the world (including Aotearoa).
>
>These figures below are astounding.  Read them alongside the US $400
>billion current trade deficit for the last quarter.
>
>I am selling everything on Monday (loss or not).  I am into Gold and
>cash.  Cyclone 'Greenspan' is heading our way.  Expect it to arrive
>this time next year.  Oh I forgot to add......the 5th largest bank
>in Germany (you know....the hub of the European economy) had to be
>bailed out last week.  It has no $$$.  Tighten those belts.
>
>The following snippets are a summary of the article below:
><snip>

I'd hate to judge people solely on the posts they make to this forum.

But superficially Nick, you do seem to be at the jittery end of the
investment spectrum personalities.  I wonder if you have considered
whether your personality is right to be investing in the sharemarket?
The sharemarket isn't for everyone: - perhaps you have one of those
personality types for which sharemarket investment is not suitable?

If I were you, I would go ahead with your plan and sell all your
stuff and stick the money into a cash management fund.  That way
you'll be able to preserve your capital and keep ahead of inflation.
If interest rates rise further think about locking some of it away
into term deposits for a year or so.   If you fear the volatility
this is not a silly strategy.

After you have dealt with your financial affairs, I would go to find
a hill with a view to climb, or a beach you can walk along.  You can
then enjoy spending some time looking at the market as a casual
observer rather than an involved participant.

After a couple of years, then think about getting back in the market
with perhaps a more dispassionate view.   You obviously have an
interest here but I'd hate to see you bursting a blood vessel
following it.   I wish you a calmer month to come.

SNOOPY

Message posted by Harry Tennyson
 using Pegasus Mail 2.55
I have Word 97 to read attachments