Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

[sharechat] Optimising Indicators in Metastock

From: "trader 100" <trader_100@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:16:37 +0000

I can't follow the help screens for optimising an indicator (eg RSI) for a
particular stock in Metastock.

I have gone to the screen:

Entering The Optimization Variable

which contains the following:

1. Highlight "My First System" in the System Tester dialog and click the
Edit button.  In all four trading rules, replace the "25" with "OPT1" (for
opt
imization variable number 1).
2. Click the Optimize button.  The Optimization Variables dialog will
appear.
3. Click the Edit button.  The Variable Properties dialog will appear.

We want to test the moving average from 10-periods to 50-periods, by five
period increments (i.e., 10, 15, 20, etc.).

4.Enter "Moving average periods" as OPT1's description.  Type a Minimum
value of 10, a Maximum value of 50, and a Step value of 5 (as shown in the
following illustration).
5. Click the OK button.
6. Look at the Total Tests value at the bottom of the Optimization Variables
dialog.  This value shows the total number of tests (nine in this case) that
will be performed.  It's always wise to check this value after editing the
optimization variables, as it is very easy to create a system that will
generate thousands of tests.

7. Click the Close button.
8. Click the OK button at the System Editor dialog to return to the System
Tester dialog.

The problem is that there doesn't appear to be any "My First System" in the
System Tester dialog.

Can someone help me out please.

I would also appreciate advice on how traders go about optimising
indicators.  How many years data do people back test on and how many years
to people test the optimised indicators on to ensure that they are not just
curve fitting?  I'm aware that Phaedrus has made some comments on these
issues in the past so if you feel that this territory has all been covered
please point me in the direction of the most relevant posts.

Thanks,

T100.