Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

Re: [sharechat] NZ Companies and Hedging

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:34:46 +0000

Hi trader 100,

> Your explanations are spot on

Great.  Although I expect there must be some margin in there for the
bank to make a profit on the hedge.  Otherwise why would they do it?

>I don't entirely understand your question.  By entering into a
>forward contract a NZ company has technically removed all of FX risk
>(assuming you accept the standard finance defintion of risk as "the
>variability of outcomes".)  The NZ company knows for certain that
>they will receive the forward rate so all of their risk is removed.
>The fact that the forward rate may be better or worse than the spot
>rate in one years time doesn't have any impact on the risk.  Putting
>it another way, the act of insuring your house removes the risk of
>financial loss from a natural disaster regardless of whether
>disaster strikes or not.  You may not make a single a claim over say
>a 10 year period causing you, with the benefit of hindsight, to
>conclude that the insurance wasn't worth it but without it in place
>you would be opening yourself up to risk.

I think my question comes down to my different understanding of
'risk'.   By taking out a hedge contract a New Zealand company has
removed all *volatility* of the exchange rate at a contracted date.
But I question whether that is the same as eliminating the risk.

I see there is maximum risk if you do nothing to allow for an
unplanned for event.  Take your house insurance example.

House insurance works fine for natural disasters.  But what
happens if there is a war and your house gets bombed?   You have lost
your premium (as you paid for natural disaster insurance) AND you
have lost your house!  In this example you are better off having no
insurance at all as you were not insuring for the actual event that
claimed your house.

In the same way a New Zealand importer taking a hedge is also
taking an insurance.  In this case the 'disaster' is that his kiwi
dollars will buy fewer US dollars next year because of the interest
rate differential.   But what if the relative exchange rate level
betwwen $NZ and $US is nothing to do with the interest rate
differential?   What if it depends on capital flows instead?  That
means the NZ company's insurance (hedging) is based on an event that
isn't going to happen.

Does this matter?   I'm not sure.  But if the New Zealand dollar was
to actually go from buying 47c in US currency to 50c, and the company
was locked into buying the US funds at the rate of 43c (because of
the hedge) they are much worse off.    I say they are much worse off
because if they had followed the alternative strategy of buying US
funds immediately (at 47c) then waited for a year (which was
supposedly equal to hedging) this would have turned out much better
than hedging.

In conclusion I am saying that the New Zealand company succeeded in
eliminating the future exchange rate volatility.   But in my view
this did nothing to reduce the risk because they took out the *wrong*
insurance policy (hedging contract).

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."