Re: [sharechat] NZ Dollar

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 18:59:58 +0000

Hi Lindley,

>I know there must be stats out there somewhere about prices, but
>I've only been able to find the combined ANZ commodity index which
>doesn't look too bad. Is there a long-term trend downwards in
>commodity prices for NZ goods? Would it then be safe to assume the
>NZD will follow this trend unless we suddenly all turn into
>bio-tech/IT gurus.

Coming in late to this discussion, but the ANZ New Zealand Economic
Focus March 2002 edition has just risen to the top of my reading
list.  You can look at it yourself here:

http://www.anz.com/nz/tools/library/EF/ef20020306.pdf

In there you will find an article 'Capital Flows and the New Zealand
Dollar', where you will find an ANZ economist has written a piece
on why economists have been so poor at estimating in which direction
the $NZ will go in the last few years.

In essence the argument goes like this.

If a country (NZ) has a current account deficit (buys more overseas
than it sells) then there are two ways to balance this equation.  NZ
can either borrow money overseas, or alternatively some big overseas
corporation can throw money NZ's way by investing capital in NZ.

Borrowing money, or getting a lump sum capital investment
from overseas: Whichever happens the guard at the border just sees
money coming in.   He neither knows nor can distinguish what is
borrowed money and what is overseas investment by a foreign
corporation.  So if the guard can't tell the difference, why does it
make a difference?  It makes a difference because there is a
different behaviour associated with a New Zealand bank borrowing
money overseas to fund the NZ consumer, and an overseas corporation
investing a large lump of capital in NZ.

A foreign equity investor, for example a foreign multinational taking
over a New Zealand company, tends to see their investment in NZ as
permanent, so any form of currency hedging to 'spread the risk' is
not feasible.  This means such lump sum investments require the
overseas multinational to buy New Zealand dollars to complete the
purchase (so the $NZ goes up).

By contrast a New Zealand bank, or company, borrowing overseas sees
such debt as something that will eventually be repaid, and
temporary.  Because they can see an end to the loan they usually
hedge it, which means they will have fixed instalments of interest
to pay in the future without having to worry about what the currency
is doing.  Seen in $NZ terms, the borrowing is cancelled out by the
hedging and so whatever happens to the $NZ in the future is of no
interest to the New Zealand company, or the hedger, as the deal has
been already sealed.

According to this new theory as I understand it, the amount of debt a
company /country is in, thanks to the rise of hedging, or even our
export trade receipts which are also largely hedged these days, now
makes very little difference to the direction the New Zealand dollar
will move.  The way the dollar will go is going to be largely
dependent on large movements of capital.   Because the average New
Zealand investor is now being encouraged to move their capital
offshore into 'overseas share funds', and I guess unhedged profits
from overseas corporations are being remitted overseas; then this
means that the $NZ will remain on a long term downtrend.  In other
words the current rise in the $NZ, without overseas interest in the
NZ sharemarket or individual NZ assets,  is just a blip of hot money
coming in to take advantage of our higher interest rates.

The conclusion seems to be that if 'the guard' was more vigilant in
distinguishing capital flows and debt flows they would be a lot
better at picking which way the $NZ will go.

One thing puzzles me with this explanation though.  *Why* do the New
Zealand companies hedge their sales and debt cash flows, but the
overseas corporations that invest in New Zealand seemingly do not?
Can anyone out there offer an explanation?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55