[sharechat] GO Learn Shares

From: "Brian & Fiona Brakenridge" <pohuenui.island@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:45:42 +1200

Ben

Great stuff! Congratulations on providing another excellent learning tool.

I was fortunate enough to have had a sneak preview of this new educational programme and I highly recommend it.

Warren Buffett's life long business partner and friend, Charlie Munger says "opportunity comes to the prepared mind." This package helps provide the very first steps of an exciting journey that helps prepare the mind for some outstanding opportunities out there.

When I first started on this journey myself about 5 years ago I very firmly went down the "fundamental track" and read every bit I could find on the topic and it's greatest exponents. I've done OK, in fact I have done a hell of a lot better than if I'd given my capital to a professional money manager. But I have no hesitation in saying that my returns would have been better even still if I had had a resource as good as GO Learn to broaden my outlook and help me manage my investment risks more prudently.

Whilst some of the content is elementary it is none the less a valuable tool that provides a broad introduction to the whole field of equity investing and provides a great platform for what I understand will be a more in-depth series of lessons.

It's particular value I believe is in introducing younger people to investing in the stock market. If any of you have had a look at senior school curriculum then I think you will agree with me that the NZ eduction system is dreadfully lacking in even the most rudimentary introduction to personal finance and investing in general.

The earlier school and university leavers learn about the various investing disciplines then the sooner they will begin to understand and take full advantage of the power of time and compounding interest.

If I have one critisism it is that the lesson on Risk Management should have been given top priority. It is often said that the younger you are the more risk tolerant you can afford to be. With the disciplines of risk management, stop losses etc. firmly understood there is no reason why a young investor armed with sound general fundamental and technical knowledge can't both increase her risk tolerance but still protect her capital at the same time.

Again, I strongly recommend this package to everyone but particularly the young or new entrants to investing.

Cheers
Brian

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Re NewsAlerts Will Bryant