Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

Re: [sharechat] Charles Dickens & Donald Brash

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:39:04 +0000

Hi capitalist, or should that be Gareth ;-),

>With regard to savings, this from Gareth Morgan

>"Of course it's chicken and egg. If Kiwis make poor investment
>decisions - like housing, forests, some farm types, uncompetitive
>corporates - then personally they'll reap poor returns and overall
>the performance of the economy will suffer."

There are plenty of places on the NZSE where you don't have to invest
in forestry or 'commodity type farm linked' investments.   It is
foolish to invest in 'the economy' (like an index fund) when you can
choose to only invest in the best parts of the economy.

>"you might more rationally move your savings somewhere a bit less
>risky. For your own sake and for the good of the country do the
>latter. "

Isn't this the same advice Morgan and others offered last year, which
saw thousands of kiwis move their money 'off shore' only to be
pummelled by the US market collapse and the associated fall out which
swept much of the rest of the world?

The current trend in the $NZ sees it rising. So it looks like
those who invest overseas have not only the volatility of markets
under the cloud of further financial uncertainty in Japan and the USA
but also a very real currency risk to contend with.   I don't think
Morgan has done his risk assessment properly. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"