Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

Re: [sharechat] Beat the Brokers - Final Results

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:18:07 +0000

Hi Mike, Chris and all fellow Competitors,

I would like to add my congratulations to Chris for his 'win'.  And
his subsequent admission that he didn't actually put his money where
his entry was!  However, I suspect he was not alone and that most
entrants didn't.

For myself, my portfolio of five ( AIRVB, CEN, RBD, TEL and
SKC ) was real.  It was deliberately structured as an 'income'
portfolio.  Number one reason for this was to show that you can still
do well without chasing 'high flyers'.   Number two was that overall
high yielding shares have a lower downside risk and this was real
money that I was playing with.

My goal at the start of the year was a 12% return, or more or less
double what I could get from a fixed interest investment at the bank.
  I am pleased to note that this was achieved (actual return just
under 20%).

Note that this return was achieved despite holding what turned into a
disaster - AIRVB!   Do I regret choosing AIRVB?   With hindsight
obviously yes, but at the time I still believe my decision to
include AIRVB was the correct one.  It looked like the high yielding
recovery share that all my other selections turned out to be.

So what does all this prove?   It shows that a certain amount of
diversification is desirable and that none of us have all the
answers.  It also proves that successful investors can have
catastrophic failures, yet still come out ahead overall.   And it
proves that failure of one of your share selections shouldn't scare
you.  Sharemarket investing is risky and if you can't take the losses
on the chin you shouldn't be here.

My suggestion to those of you who didn't have such a good year is try
being a bit more boring with your share selection.  And make sure
your expectation is not too high!  My goal for FY2002 will be
a 10% return, again around twice what I could get from a term
deposit at the bank.  That might sound dull, but over 10 years such a
return can create quite a little nest egg with relatively low risk.

Prosperous investing to all in 2002.  SNOOPY

( who despite a successful 2001 and top ten finish in 'Beat the
Brokers'  is nevertheless not quite in the position to put a deposit
on that Superyacht. )

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"