Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2001

Re: [sharechat] Briscoes

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:26:51 +0000

Hi Jared,

> I bought BGR at 1.42 today. can you all believe that $10m got traded
> in that stock alone! that is normally about 10% of the average daily
> NZSE turnover. there is some interest there, thats for sure. i dont
> know if it was a good idea to buy, but what i am hoping is that in
> the Weekend Herald and other weekend papers, all the cliched mums
> and dads will read about how well it did today, and call their
> brokers on monday. wishful thinking maybe, but then again....

Sounds like you are punting a bit here.  You won't get any comment
from the chartists as you can't chart a single point.  I haven't
researched Briscoes myself, other than in the most cursory way.  Am I
right in saying that even at $1.40 the projected yield is still
attractive compared to say 'the Warehouse'?

I always wonder about these companies predicting steeply increasing
earnings in the near future.  My memory is that this is the case
in the Briscoes's prospectus.  What do you see as Briscoe's
competitive advantage, compared with, say, 'the Warehouse'?  The
Rebel sports chain seems to be doing well (?).  But then again I
don't frequent sports shops  that often so what would I know!   I can
tell you that big Rebel Sports store on the corner of Colombo Street
and Moorehouse Avenue in Christchurch has to take the prize as the
ugliest building in the city! SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."