Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2001

[sharechat] Opportunities in bear markets (esp for Jared)

From: "Viewpoint ." <viewpoint_@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 07:59:21 +0800

Last weekend's discussion about the long term bear market we are in prompted
this remark from Jared - I dont want to be in the middle of a bear market
for the next 15 odd years. How will I make a living? Aaaaaargghhhhhh. This
could be the biggest market timing mishap on my part, unless I start
shorting stocks?!? ;-)

Jared, consider this. The NZSE40 is up 18% since Sept 19, the S&P 500 is up
21% since the Sept 21. And tech stocks are up 50% since Sept 19.

Some say it is a new bull market. But stocks in the USA rose more than 20%
on 5 occasions between '29 and '32. And in Japan, there were also 5 rallies
that took stocks up 20% or more during the 1990s - as the market fell from
39,000 to below 10,000.

Yeah Jared - timing is everything. You had no control over the timing of
your entry into the world but you can control/manage the times you are both
in and out of the the market for the next ?? years.

So don't despair mate - history says there will be plenty of opportunities
in the future, even if the index followers or the buy and hold fanatics will
probably find their caapital has eroded.