Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] Nicks readme file has a virus in it dont open

From: Will Bryant <will@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:11:39 +1300

I've managed to do everything you suggested apart from removing the HKEY_... value from my registry.  Could you please provide a few more details on how to do this.  Thanks in advance,
They weren't actually my instructions BTW, but anyway to remove that value from the registry try this:

. click the Start button
. click Run
. type in "regedit.exe", and click "ok"

Registry Editor should then start.  You then need to navigate your way through to find the key that you want to delete.

It's just like using Windows Explorer, you just look for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" in the left-hand tree and double-click on that to open it up; then you look for "SOFTWARE" and double-click to open it up; etc. until you've got all the way to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce.

Then if you look on the right half, you should see an entry named "Kernel32" with the data "kernel32.exe".  Select that and delete it using "Delete" on the "Edit" menu, and click ok to the prompt.

I do suggest that you get an anti-virus program, and keep that up to date - it should handle the removal for you.

Will Bryant                                 ShareChat technical manager
will@sharechat.co.nz                        http://www.sharechat.co.nz/