Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: [sharechat] Receiving a virus, and knowing if you have one?.

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:00:21 +1100

Mike:

You said:
> If in fact I did still have an infected machine how would I be able to
tell
> ???.

It seems like you are doing the right thing by using Ihug's service but you
should also be running anti-virus software on your machine as well.  You can
download Norton AntiVirus 2002 from the Symantec website for a free thirty
day trial period.  Then you can get it to scan your entire computer to look
for viruses.  This should put you at peace of mind for now, whether you
decide to purchase it or not.

Now, everyone, it would be great to get back "on-topic".  If you have any
more concerns about viruses etc etc please use my personal email address:

bendutton@sharechat.co.nz

or even better email Will, our resident techie hostess with the mostess:

will@sharechat.co.nz

I will add though that the rules of email and surfing the web (if you are
using MS products...) are simple:

1) NEVER open attachments from people you don't know or you weren't
expecting.
2) ALWAYS update your MS software with the critical updates packages (MS
will notify you automatically if you have it set your preferences for that).
3) ALWAYS run anti-virus software that receives automatic virus updates from
the service provider.

Follow those precautions and you'll be safe as houses (hope that saying
doesn't open up a debate on property investment...;-)

Best Regards

Ben Dutton
ShareChat