Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: [sharechat] just got W32.Badtrans.B@mm

From: "andrew cottingham" <arco@adinfinitum.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:26:59 +1300

Good Morning all

Hope this might further help anyone who has been caught, or who gets caught
today. (I have received a further 4 Badtrans e-mails this morning).

>From my colleague....................

Things have moved along since I emailed yesterday morning (well I tried to
keep that e-mail as plain English as possible but it didn't work) and I now
have further information.

Symantec have further updated their information about the removal of the
BadtransII virus in an easy to read, follow and do format and can be found
here: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.html
Removal is rather easy.

 However, the exploit that allows the attachment (in this case the
BadtransII virus) by only reading an e-mail is a serious one. Outlook
Express comes as part of Internet Explorer and IE 5.01 Service Pack 2, IE6
appear to be safe. If you have another version such as IE5.0, IE 5.01 SP1 or
IE5.5 you should consider the patch available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS01-027.asp
Or an upgrade to Internet Explorer 6 either off a CD that comes with a
computer mag or here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

Hopefully Microsoft will release a simpler fix in a few days. If they do I
will let you know.

Andrew Cottingham