Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

[sharechat] THL Sell signal

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:05:20 -0800 (PST)

 THL closed below its trendline yesterday, giving a sell signal. Anyone using
trendline breaks to trade this stock would have bought at 110 and sold 2 months
later at 120. At first glance, this does not seem much of a trade. Look at it
this way. A gain of 9% in 2 months equates to over 50% pa.
 I am trying to demonstrate that an ultra simple trading technique like
trendline breaks can be profitable on its own, winning far more often than
losing. It is not sound practice, however, to use any single technique in
isolation. This is a trade I would not have taken exactly as recorded here.
Look at the day of the trendline break buy. The Close was below the Close of
the previous day. The stock was still going down. Note also the long upper
shadow. There was still a lot of selling pressure. Note also that the Close was
well below the open - a down day.
There is no way I would have bought - trendline break or not. The next day was
very similar. Now, note how everything changed the day after that. Long lower
shadow (buyer support), and Closing at the High for the day. (White Closing
Marubozu) All bullish. That is when I would have bought (at 105) This would
equate to a 14% gain - over 80% pa.
            Phaedrus.