Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

[sharechat] PRG,s Bearhugging "' Round 4"

From: "george souros" <g_sourous@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:41:09 +0000

Nice to see Chalkie in the latest edition of the Independant concurring with
my view re the value of PRG and why Cullen/Watson is so keen to get his paws
on it. One of the very interesting things with this attempted  takeover is
how Cullen has now come out so aggressively against the Independant
Directors and Managements projected budget. You would have to assume that
Management themselves aren't happy with Cullen's offer, as it does not
reflect the hard work they've done over the last 3 yrs, and they,ve told
Anderson (the Independant Valuers) the real figures of which Cullen has
wanted kept quiet. It's not often in this country we see Independant
Directors/Management standing up to Majority Shareholders so we have to
assume there's more to this than meets the eye and that there's  a lot more
rounds left in this fight!
With reference to Gaynor,s article in today,s Business section (NZ Herald)
and that the  minority shareholders should maybe follow the lead of Cullen
and his other friendly directors, and accept their original offer, it is a
well known fact that Mark Hotchin (PRG Director) and Watson are best of
mates and that the same Hotchin is 50% owner of Elders Finance with Watson
the other 50%. No doubt he will be "rewarded" for siding with Watson in
offering his stake at the low price. I note Hotchin as well, is the same
person who was nailed for insider trading a couple of years ago. I would not
be following his actions but more importantly I would be following the lead
from the Independant Directors and indeed the Management who I understand
have substantial option packages themselves. Management are the people who
know what they can and cant deliver. Watson/Cullen/Hotchin are far too
conflicted in this matter for shareholders to be taking their lead. Be
interesting to see what other major shareholders ie AXA will be doing.
My gut feeling is that if Cullen backs down now he loses too much "face" and
does his already tarnished reputation more damage. I think he,s bound to
come out with an increased bid which would no doubt be at the lower end of
Anderson,s Range ($2.16). Even this is bargain basement type pricing to grab
100% of PRG but maybe if he does this we will have a bit more belief in that
he,s trying to clean up his act and the "Wild West" image the NZSE has,of
which Watson has contributed to in the past.
I dont think the Bear thought his prey would struggle so much!!!