Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] Selling Strategies

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:49:46 -0700 (PDT)

Jefley,
       From what you say I gather that you wish to trade trends. There are many
trend indicators - MetaStock has 26, not counting methods such as your idea of
selling when x% down from a peak. This type of thing is easily coded into the
form of an indicator. In the chart below I have used your suggestion to create
a Trailing Stop 8% below the highest current peak. You would sell when the
Close was below this line.
 Trend indicators that I use include Directional Movement Indicator , Parabolic
Stop and Reverse Indicator and Polarized Fractal Efficiency Indicator. Read
about these at http://www.equis.com/free/taaz/ Most people use Moving averages
of various types, though I tend not to. My favourite is the simplest of all
Trend Indicators - Trendlines. As I hope I have demonstrated, these can be used
for both Entry and Exit signals, though I find them most useful for exits. They
are easily drawn by anyone, and are not subject to misinterpretation. In the
RBC, AIA, CEN, GPG charts and others I have posted, note how use of a single
simple trendline got you out not long after the peaks, and well before any
meltdown. Use of the same simple technique is now getting you back in again, at
considerably cheaper prices, that we hope will prove to be not too much above
the lowest price reached. Only time will tell.
 One point I have not mentioned is that all these entries should be protected
by execution of a Stop-loss sale triggered if the price should Close below the
pivot point Low. This means that if any of these Buy signals should be proved
"wrong" by future price action, we exit the trade before we lose too much
money. Typically this would not happen very often at all, and a sale would
usually be triggered by the new upward trendline being broken. As always, the
aim is to limit your losses and let your winners run. That is why your other
idea of an exit strategy based on "so many percent up within a certain period"
is not a good one. It would limit your gains, and do nothing to lock in those
already accrued.
 I am unsure what you mean when you ask for a "profile of the Dow chart that
you posted". If you care to elaborate a bit, I would be happy to oblige.
       Regards,
                 Phaedrus.