Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] Flow-on effects from PM's statements re AIR

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:08:22 +1200

To start with, I think that we need to welcome some new contributors who supported the PM.

Lest some forget, this is not a party-political Forum. In my opinion, it is used to promote an interest in securities by contributors and readers and also has a solid educational input.

The latter is provided in many ways, starting with questions from participants!

I hope that these new contributors will participate in further discussions!

Television interviews and comments have referred to the strong possibility that sofar nothing has been signed by the Government, nor by Singapore and Brierly.

As a consequence, there are fears that by using a proper name of the Airline, the PM not only "gave a solid tip" to investors but may also have painted herself and the tax payer in the corner in current negotiations with the main parties.

Some investors feel that because of the statement by the PM, that the government now has the legal obligation to ensure that AIR for the time being will remain in its present form and will remain viable.

To be more explicit, if the negotiatons were at a sensitive stage and the other two main parties may have felt to make concessions, these may now be reduced or withdrawn and this will result in an increased cost to the tax payer.

The ASX felt it necessary to halt trading at some stage while the NZSE just carried on trading: another reason why foreigners tend to shun the NZ investment climate!

Those are my opinions!

Gerry

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat]Phaderus' charts G Stolwyk